The Minister of Energy and Mines of Ecuador, Fernando Santos, issued a statement of tranquility to the entire country due to the difficulties that are being presented in the neighboring country due to the shortage of electrical energy, and the threat of possible blackouts and rationing.
Before his statements, the Ecuadorian Ministry of Energy announced that power outages would occur electricity between Tuesday, October 3 and Thursday, October 5, 2023, during the hours of 4 and 5:30 in the afternoon.
Now you can follow us on our WhatsApp Channel and in Google news.
“I want to announce that a reduction of energy transmission from Colombiawhich is why specific disconnections have occurred in some areas of the country,” said the Ecuadorian minister.
For the Ecuadorian Government, the difficulties that arise in its territory with the lack of electrical energy have to do with a maintenance on electrical infrastructure that is being carried out in Colombia. Although Ecuador also produces its own energy, through hydroelectric plants, during times of drought experienced due to the worsening of the El Niño phenomenon, a part of the electricity supply is purchased from Colombia through an interconnected system.
But for that maintenance, power has been reduced that our country supplies to Ecuador, this added to climate change and other factors, which have put the energy authorities of the neighboring country in problems.
However, Ecuador’s own Minister of Energy, Fernando Santos, was in charge of ensuring that this situation was overcome and that his country you will not be faced with different rolling blackouts.
“The National Government is committed to the energy sector. Contracts have been signed for Aromo and Villonaco. Additionally, 500 MW of non-conventional renewable energies have been negotiated (…) During the period of President Guillermo Lasso’s government, projects have been signed, with 100% private financing, for 800 MW, to guarantee electricity supply for Ecuadorians.” , indicated Santos.
Likewise, the executive director of the National Electricity Operator Cenace, Gabriel Arguello, indicated that this entity suspected that there could be blackouts, the places that were going to be specifically affected were unknown, since this measure depended on the rationing plans that were had with the nine distribution companies. However, it was also confirmed that no more power outages are planned for Wednesday, October 4 and Thursday, October 5.
Likewise, the Ministry of Energy and Mines of Ecuador issued a press release in which it said: “In this scenario, in order to maintain the stability and reliability of the service, the National Electricity Operator, Cenace, cwill coordinate with the distribution companies a specific disconnection of electrical demand, between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.″.
And it is added that: “With this measure, which will be applied to the extent that is strictly necessary, stability and reliability will be maintained of the national electrical service, it being important to highlight that these actions are not related to energy rationing.”
And it concludes by asking citizens to make efficient and responsible use of the country’s energy resources since this would benefit all regions of Ecuador.
Given this, the director of Cenace also confirmed that no power outages had been reported in any sector of the country, despite the fact that there were uncertainty due to the temporary decrease in the transfer of power from Colombia.
For this reason, the Ministry of Energy of Ecuador highlights that all the measures that have been taken are intended to guarantee the stability and reliability of the national electrical service and that these will be applied only when the conditions that arise are strictly necessary and that They would not be related to energy rationing.