The president Dina Boluarte reacted this Thursday to the former dictator’s request Alberto Fujimori to the Third Constitutional Chamber of the Superior Court of Justice of Lima to restore the humanitarian pardon that the then ruler Pedro Pablo Kuczynski granted him in December 2017, and that the Supreme Court annulled a year later.
“Each pardon has to come in a request to the Executive. This will be evaluated by the Permanent Commission of the Ministry of Justice. Then we, in accordance with the law, will be evaluating it,” he said from Trujillo during the inauguration of the Citizen Insecurity Security Council (Conasec).
The president gave the floor to the Minister of Justice, Eduardo Arana, who highlighted that Fujimori He raised the request to a court and not to the Government.
“The Inter-American Court of Human rights issued a resolution already in April 2022, in which it urges the Peruvian State to refrain from complying with the sentence of the constitutional Court, that considers humanitarian pardon appropriate. In that sense, […] There is already a contentious position regarding this,” he said.
“The Ministry of Justice has not received any request. We want to express that the request was made before the court, a procedure where this should be seen,” he continued. Previously, the former dictator’s lawyer, Elio Riera, did not rule out requesting grace from the president in case her sponsor’s request is rejected.
“These are opinions that they will have to evaluate as a family, because that, the pardon, obviously has to be done by the family. It is up to me to analyze the legal issue. We must seek all legal mechanisms protected by law to […] achieve the release of an 85-year-old person who has illnesses that will lead to death,” he said during an interview in RPP.